Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mrs. Monkey

People have been asking me how I like the new job... well, the answer is that I really do like it. It's not anything I had ever planned on but for the time being it's a good fit for me. First graders and preschoolers have the same amount of energy but in preschool I only have to get their attention for a few minutes and then we just get to play. Educational play of course! ; ) In first grade I had to harness all that energy and get the kids to work through like 10 subjects. I have a really small class and they are all pretty good kids. I had one little girl that kept pooping her pants... that was NOT fun! They are supposed to be potty trained before they come to school because we don't do diapers. I was prepared for an accident here and there but everyday was a little much. Turns out she wasn't potty trained and now she is staying home until she is!!! Hooray!!!! It makes such a difference in my day! : ) Yes, they do have nap time, for like an hour and a half. It's awesome! I sit with my kids and the 3 year olds during that time (most of mine don't stay all day, they leave at lunch) and because they are so little they usually all fall asleep!!! It's super hard not to fall asleep myself! I get to use this time to get ready for the next day which doesn't take long so I have been also using the time to do by Bible study... it's fantastic!!! With the busy lifestyle we all live these days it hard to be disciplined and make the time for a Bible study. I really appreciate having this quiet time each day!
The preschoolers are pretty funny! My students don't speak in complete sentences yet and they all call me a variety of names. Mommy, Teacher, Ms. Ambro and Mrs. Monkey. One little girl knows that I am teacher but seems to insist on calling me Mommy... I am really impressed with the one little boy I have who has mastered Ms. Ambro, pretty good for 2.5 I think. Mrs. Monkey is my favorite. One of the older kids, was saying all of the teachers names because he knew them all from last year. I am the new teacher and he didn't remember my name but he knew I taught the Monkey class so... Mrs. Monkey! It caught on with several of the kids, they think it's pretty funny and I am sure some of them don't have a clue what my real name is. One little girl came up to me the other day with a little bead that she had found and asked if I could hold it for her and then she said "don't lost it" I said "ok, I won't lost it!" They are sweet and innocent and they remind me what it was like to be a kid. I was saying good bye to some of the kids the other day and one of them asked me where my Mommy was. I explained to hear that I am a big girl now and I have to drive myself home. : )

3 comments:

Emily Valko Monroy said...

Awww . . . Mrs. Monkey! I love it. Sounds likes a great job for you right now.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Monkey!!! I love it!!!! :) :) :) You are precious and perfect for those little ones!!! That is such an important age of learning and developing and growing and you are the perfect person to teach them. ;) They are so blessed to have you yet we are at such a loss without you. :( I still can't get over the void I feel every day. :( But I am so thankful and happy that the Lord guided you and led you to this wonderful new job. When poopy pants happen...just remind yourself...no grading...no newsletters...no report cards...no parent conferences...no "jesus loves you and I'm trying" :) :) :) I can't wait for a job to open up for me there! :) heheeh

Heidi said...

No "Jesus loves you and I am trying" That's my favorite one! HAHAHAHAH!!! Joy you are so right!!! : )