Monday, February 16, 2009

The Cookie Story

I know I didn't really explain much in my last post, so here's the story.  It all started a few years ago when Karen and I decided we wanted to make some sugar cookies for Easter.  She had found this great recipe that I have ended up using ever since.  I love to bake and decorate cookies for all holidays and then take them to school to share with the students and other teachers.  Everyone who eats them tends to love them and get excited when I make them for them.  One person who particularly loves my cookies is Joy.  So, I always make them for her Birthday and when ever I am making them for any other reason I bring her some.  Well, she and I have been talking a lot lately about the future and how when we have kids (some where way, way, way down the road... don't get to excited here, this is so not the point of this blog entry.) we really want to be able to stay home.  Being that both of our husbands are also teachers, there is no way we can just stay home, we will need to have some kind of an income.  Anyway, we have come up with a lot of interesting ideas but the one we keep coming back to is baking.  She ended up telling some of the moms at school of our idea and one of them happens to own a Deli with her husband.  Joy kindly told her how delicious my cookies are and that she would pay money for them.  This mom said her husband would totally sell them at the Deli.  So, for kind of a test run I made them a batch of cookies for Valentine's Day.  I wrapped them each individually and tied them with cute Valentine's Day ribbons and put them in a cute little basket.  They decided to sell them for a dollar a piece and apparently then ended up selling with in two hours the first day they were there.  Not only that, someone wanted to order 10 to be picked up on Friday.  Needless to say, I was pretty excited about this.  I made them a second batch and got the 10 ready for Friday and this time put labels on the backs of each cookie so that people could contact me if they wanted more.  Here are a few pictures of what the cookies looked like before they were wrapped up.  

The owners of the Deli told me that they would like to do this for every holiday.  Joy says that she will help me go around to different little Deli's and see if they will sell them as well.  We also have ideas for making flyers to let people know they can order them for parties.  The possibilities are endless.  For now I am still pretty busy with school so I don't see myself getting to carried away in the cookie business just yet but it is exciting to see the potential for the future!!
Josh was so proud of me for all this that he came home with this beautiful orchid.  How sweet is he!?

For Valentine's Day Joy brought me this special gift because she too was so happy for me!!  I owe it all to you Joy because I never would have even thought to do this if it weren't for you!!  Some how, some day, we can be stay at home cookie moms!! ; ) Anyway... If you know anyone who needs cookies for a particular occasion, you know who to contact.  I will do them for any theme, just let me know. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cookies By Heidi"... I'm seeing it now...your name in lights...the next Food Network Star...the next Mrs. Fields! :) :) :)
I am so proud of you friend!!! I told you!!! Your cookies are the bomb...and I WILL pay money for them! :) :)
Thanks for the cute shot-out. I feel so special! :) :) :)
I love you so much!!! AND am SO EXCITED for all that lies ahead for you!!! :) :) :) LOVE YOU!!!

Emily Valko Monroy said...

That is aweseome! I am so impressed. I'll have to order some to my next occassion. I can build you a website if you need one.

Actually, Mrs. Fields is going out of business so maybe it is a good time to swoop in and find your place in the cookie business! Good job!

Heidi said...

I didn't know she was going out of business, how weird is that... I should swoop in!! Hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm - sounds good - how come i never knew about these cookies?

BruceandBarbara said...

Cute cookies and they look really yummy! Best Wishes on your cookie adventure! What will be the name of your business???

Heidi said...

Thanks you guys!! I think I am going to go with Cookies by Heidi, What do you think? And yes, I do need Emily to make me a website, that is a fantastic idea!